Por favor, si queréis colaborar en que la pandemia se reduzca, hagamos como en Chequia o Japón: no salgamos de casa sin mascarilla, aunque sea casera. Aconsejan algodón por su respirabilidad

No te contagies, no me contagies. #mascarillasxatodos

English MC - May - for one more day - Mitch Albom

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Responder
DarkLady Juliet
Foroadicto
Ubicación: Darkilandia, segunda estrella a la izquierda y todo recto hasta el anochecer (Y en Madrid también)

English MC - May - for one more day - Mitch Albom

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet » 29 Abr 2011 19:24

Imagen The Author Imagen

From Publishers Weekly
In this second novel from Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven author Albom, grief-stricken Charles "Chick" Benetto goes into an alcoholic tailspin when his always-attentive mother, Pauline, dies. Framed as an "as told to" story, Chick quickly narrates her funeral; his drink-fueled loss of savings, job ("sales") and family; and his descent into loneliness and isolation. After a suicide attempt, Chick encounters Pauline's ghost. Together, the two revisit Pauline's travails raising her children alone after his father abandons them: she braves the town's disapproval of her divorce and works at a beauty parlor, taking an extra job to put money aside for the children's education. Pauline cringes at the heartache Chick inflicted as a demanding child, obnoxious teen and brusque, oblivious adult chasing the will-o'-the-wisp of a baseball career. Through their story, Albom foregrounds family sanctity, maternal self-sacrifice and the destructive power of personal ambition and male self-involvement. He wields pathos as if it were a Louisville Slugger—shoveling dirt into Pauline's grave, Chick hears her spirit cry out, " 'Oh, Charley. How could you?' "—but Albom often strikes a nerve on his way to the heart. (Sept. 26) Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Código: Seleccionar todo

“Every family is a ghost story . . .”

Mitch Albom mesmerized readers around the world with his number one New York Times bestsellers, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Tuesdays with Morrie. Now he returns with a beautiful, haunting novel about the family we love and the chances we miss. For One More Day is the story of a mother and a son, and a relationship that covers a lifetime and beyond. It explores the question: What would you do if you could spend one more day with a lost loved one? As a child, Charley “Chick” Benetto was told by his father, “You can be a mama’s boy or a daddy’s boy, but you can’t be both.” So he chooses his father, only to see the man disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence. Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been crumbled by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits bottom after discovering his only daughter has shut him out of her wedding. And he decides to take his own life. He makes a midnight ride to his small hometown, with plans to do himself in. But upon failing even to do that, he staggers back to his old house, only to make an astonishing discovery. His mother -- who died eight years earlier -- is still living there, and welcomes him home as if nothing ever happened. Albom has said his relationship with his own mother was largely behind the story of the book, and that several incidents in “For One More Day” are actual events from his childhood. 

Two points of view to start with.

:60:

Nieves
Foroadicto

Re: English MC - May - for one more day - Mitch Albom

Mensaje por Nieves » 03 May 2011 17:36

I'm reading "My sister lives on the mantelpiece" by Annabel Pitcher just now. As soon as I finish it, I'll read this one :D
Imagen

DarkLady Juliet
Foroadicto
Ubicación: Darkilandia, segunda estrella a la izquierda y todo recto hasta el anochecer (Y en Madrid también)

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet » 05 May 2011 23:38

I've already started it, I'll try to let some comments tomorrow.

DarkLady Juliet
Foroadicto

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet » 06 May 2011 21:50

I have read two chapters of the book, mainly it’s an introduction of what is going to happen, but as the story develops, we find a more complicated plot than we expected, the narrator, supposedly a journalist writing about Chick Benetto, gave some hints of the future events, and only a few pages afterwards, the point of view changes, so we get a first hand impression of Chick’s actions and thoughts.

I like the way the author addresses us to get us involved in the subject: “What would you do if…?”, giving us the chance of thinking about what we would experiment in the same situation the main character goes through.

Nice beginning.

LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo » 10 May 2011 23:59

I read it months ago and it leaves a good taste in my mouth. It isn't the best book I've ever read but it's very nice. It makes me thing about the things we have and it's value.

I make a question to start a chat :D
what do you think of giving a second chance?

I will follow your comments of the book :60:
Leyendo:Estudio en escarlata - Arthur Conan Doyle

Nieves
Foroadicto

Mensaje por Nieves » 12 May 2011 15:09

I have read Midnight and "Morning", about 50%.
At first I didn't like Chick, the protagonist. Now I like a little better, but who really is a lot like her mother.
I'm enjoying very much the history of this beautiful woman, a fighter, who takes up her children in a cruel world and macho.
Imagen

LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo » 14 May 2011 20:03

Nieves escribió:I have read Midnight and "Morning", about 50%.
At first I didn't like Chick, the protagonist. Now I like a little better, but who really is a lot like her mother.
I'm enjoying very much the history of this beautiful woman, a fighter, who takes up her children in a cruel world and macho.

It's true Nieves, the story of the mother is incredible. They was the most beautiful parts, when explains how the mother had to go through difficult situations. And also the parts tittled: Times when my mother stood up for me and Times when I didnt't stand up for my mother (I haven't got the book here so I don't know if the titles are right) they are so lovely :D !

DarkLady Juliet
Foroadicto

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet » 18 May 2011 00:08

I have finished it this afternoon. Tears came to my eyes while I was in the bus, I had to collect myself and take a deep breath to reach the end.

I had the same impression, I didn't like Chick at the beginning, but it's easy to like him when you get to know him more deeply. The mother is a great character. She's so commited to her children, to life, she enjoys the world no matter how hard it is.

When Chick meets
his mother
, there are two options,
either he is dead and has found his mother in heaven, or he is dreaming.
While they are in Rose's house the telephone rings, he picks it up
and hears the voice calling him, I had the impression that he wasn't totally dead, and somebody was trying to wake him up, a doctor or a policeman.

What almost made me cry is
the last time he is struggling between life and death, he wants to die, to stay with his mother, and make up for all the times he didn't stand up for her. But she tells him not to give up, to make his decision.

I thought the story was going to be entirely told by
the journalist, but is Chick himself who tells us about his childhood, his parents, his feelings...

I've found it very interesting. Very sensitive. Makes you really think. I am glad you (Was it you, Laura?) proposed it, otherwise I might have skipped it. And it has made me reflect upon several aspects in my life. Second chances... well, everytime you're making a decision you leave an option behind. It's just a question of trying to choose what is best for you, and what is best for your loved ones.

LauraCo escribió:I read it months ago and it leaves a good taste in my mouth. It isn't the best book I've ever read but it's very nice. It makes me thing about the things we have and it's value.

I make a question to start a chat :D
what do you think of giving a second chance?

I will follow your comments of the book :60:

When I read this question I thought, what kind of second chance?
The chance to talk to somebody you missed and tell him/her all the things you didn't have time to tell, to ask for forgiveness, to explain the reasons why you took a decision that hurt? Or to live again, and mend what you messed up?

I'd love to be so comprehensive as Posey is. "A child embarrassed by his mother," she said, "is just a
child who hasn't lived long enough. "

And even
in the last moment,
she corrects him... sweetly and firm: I felt a soft kiss on my forehead. "My mother and I," she corrected.
And she was gone.

Nieves
Foroadicto

Mensaje por Nieves » 19 May 2011 12:15

Finished reading 4 days ago. I liked it very much.
It is a beautiful story of a mother and son. Although it is very interesting the possibility of having one last conversation with a loved, dead someone, I have liked the story.
I think that being a mother means "Times my mother stood up for me", and the son carries "Times I didn't stand up for my mother" ", is a law of life. But it's good once you are older remember all those times.
I bring this part of the book:
"Mon?" I Whispered.
I hadn't said it in so long. When death takes yor mother, it steals that word forever.

I did it, not because it is particularly emotional, but because it is the truth. My mother died five years ago, and it might sound silly, one of the things I miss is to call "Mom. "
Imagen

LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo » 24 May 2011 11:51

DarkLady Juliet escribió:I've found it very interesting. Very sensitive. Makes you really think. I am glad you (Was it you, Laura?) proposed it, otherwise I might have skipped it. And it has made me reflect upon several aspects in my life. Second chances... well, everytime you're making a decision you leave an option behind. It's just a question of trying to choose what is best for you, and what is best for your loved ones.

Juliet :hola: I'm really glad you like it :60: :60:
I proposed it because I was reading at this time this book when we did the poll. I thought it is easily readable and it has a emotional plot that you can identify with it, so I proposed it :mrgreen:

When I said "second chances" I mean, what would you do I you have to do the same that Posey does? or if you were who needs this second chance

DarkLady Juliet
Foroadicto

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet » 26 May 2011 22:36

Wow, a little bit complicated to answer in a couple of minutes. Let me get some more leisure time, and I'll get back to this question and some other aspects that I didn't like very much from the book. (Yes, there are some :mrgreen: )

Responder