English MC

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Which book do you want to read in the Enslish MC first?

La encuesta terminó el 16 Ago 2019 09:27

Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones
44%
Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
33%
I can see you, Karen Rose
22%

Votos totales: 9

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

English MC

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I think there are some people interested on having an English MC. @mariki @Kiraya @Parónima

So here we are. We can propose books and dates.

About dates, I prefer after summer, for example October.

The options for the first English MC are:

:arrow: Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones: Sophie has the great misfortune of being the eldest of three daughters, destined to fail miserably should she ever leave home to seek her fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the ire of the Witch of the Waste, Sophie finds herself under a horrid spell that transforms her into an old lady. Her only chance at breaking it lies in the ever-moving castle in the hills: the Wizard Howl's castle. To untangle the enchantment, Sophie must handle the heartless Howl, strike a bargain with a fire demon, and meet the Witch of the Waste head-on. Along the way, she discovers that there's far more to Howl—and herself—than first meets the eye.

:arrow: Unsub by Meg Gardiner: A riveting psychological thriller inspired by the never-caught Zodiac Killer, about a young detective determined to apprehend the serial murderer who destroyed her family and terrorized a city twenty years earlier.
Caitlin Hendrix has been a Narcotics detective for six months when the killer at the heart of all her childhood nightmares reemerges: the Prophet. An UNSUB—what the FBI calls an unknown subject—the Prophet terrorized the Bay Area in the 1990s and nearly destroyed her father, the lead investigator on the case.
The Prophet’s cryptic messages and mind games drove Detective Mack Hendrix to the brink of madness, and Mack’s failure to solve the series of ritualized murders—eleven seemingly unconnected victims left with the ancient sign for Mercury etched into their flesh—was the final nail in the coffin for a once promising career.
Twenty years later, two bodies are found bearing the haunting signature of the Prophet. Caitlin Hendrix has never escaped the shadow of her father’s failure to protect their city. But now the ruthless madman is killing again and has set his sights on her, threatening to undermine the fragile barrier she rigidly maintains for her own protection, between relentless pursuit and dangerous obsession.
Determined to decipher his twisted messages and stop the carnage, Caitlin ignores her father’s warnings as she draws closer to the killer with each new gruesome murder. Is it a copycat, or can this really be the same Prophet who haunted her childhood? Will Caitlin avoid repeating her father’s mistakes and redeem her family name, or will chasing the Prophet drag her and everyone she loves into the depths of the abyss?

:arrow: Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Ifemelu and Obinze are young and in love when they depart military-ruled Nigeria for the West. Beautiful, self-assured Ifemelu heads for America, where despite her academic success, she is forced to grapple with what it means to be black for the first time. Quiet, thoughtful Obinze had hoped to join her, but with post-9/11 America closed to him, he instead plunges into a dangerous, undocumented life in London. Fifteen years later, they reunite in a newly democratic Nigeria, and reignite their passion—for each other and for their homeland.

:arrow: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children - Ransom Riggs: A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

:arrow: Educated - Tara Westover: Tara Westoverwas 17 the first time she set foot in a classroom. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head-for-the-hills bag". In the summer she stewed herbs for her mother, a midwife and healer, and in the winter she salvaged in her father's junkyard.
Her father forbade hospitals, so Tara never saw a doctor or nurse. Gashes and concussions, even burns from explosions, were all treated at home with herbalism. The family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent.
Then, lacking any formal education, Tara began to educate herself. She taught herself enough mathematics and grammar to be admitted to Brigham Young University, where she studied history, learning for the first time about important world events like the Holocaust and the civil rights movement. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home.
Educated is an account of the struggle for self-invention. It is a tale of fierce family loyalty and of the grief that comes with severing the closest of ties. With the acute insight that distinguishes all great writers, Westover has crafted a universal coming-of-age story that gets to the heart of what an education is and what it offers: the perspective to see one's life through new eyes and the will to change it

:arrow: The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson: First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, the lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.

:arrow: I can see you, Karen Rose: New York Times bestselling author Karen Rose delivers her latest pulse-pounding suspense novel, where the line between the virtual world and everyday reality blurs when it comes to murder.
Eve Wilson's face was once scarred by a vicious assault. Terrified and ashamed, she escaped to the online realm, where she could choose the face she allowed people to see. Years later, her outer scars faded and inner scars buried, Eve has fought her way back to the real world and is determined to help others do the same. Now a graduate student moonlighting as a bartender, Eve researches the addictive powers of online communities. When her test subjects begin turning up dead as a result of apparent suicides, she doesn't know where to turn.
Homicide detective Noah Webster is one of the few people who believe the victims are connected murders. Eve becomes Noah's online guide and realizes that the handsome detective may have secret scars as painful as her own. As Eve and Noah chase a killer who is always one step ahead of them, together they try to overcome the tragedies of their pasts and learn to trust again, but they soon discover that danger is much closer than they think.

:arrow: The Selection, Kiera Cass: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

:arrow: Let's get textual, Teagan Hunter: A wrong number is supposed to be just that—a wrong number.
Delete. Done.
Do not continue to text. Do not flirt.
A wrong number shouldn't be the first person on your mind in the morning, or the last at night...and you're definitely not supposed to talk them into buying a baby goat.
Because that would be weird.
When Zach Hastings and I get into a wrong-number mix-up, we don't follow the rules. We keep texting and flirting, because he's wicked funny and perfectly nerdy and a wonderful distraction.
I'm not looking for love, and Zach definitely had the wrong number.
But maybe...
Maybe he's the right guy

CONDITIONS

There are 3 days to vote.
3 options can be voted.
Changing votes are allowed.
The most voted option will be the book we read in the MC.
In case of tied there will be a 24-hour express poll between the two options.

FIRST ENGLISH MC

:arrow: Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones :arrow: October 7th, 2019
Última edición por LizzyDarcy el 03 Sep 2019 08:52, editado 6 veces en total.
Parónima
No puedo vivir sin este foro

Re: English MC

Mensaje por Parónima »

You already opened the thread, good!
Autumn is good for me too, any date is fine at the moment.

Some time ago I proposed myself to read one english book every month... But I am lazy, it's much more easy and fast reading in spanish so I allways end reading spanish books. I hope this will change now thanks to you [emoji16]

Desde Tapatalk

Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

I was looking at some books and I think that maybe "Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children" and "The perks of being a wallflower" can be good options with the others that @Kiraya mentioned in the other thread.

Desde Tapatalk

Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

hey! what the heck! I never got any notification, girls :meditando:

:164nyu:
Escribo, luego existo

Y hablo de lo que me da la gana en https://navegandocultura.com/
Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

We still need @mariki so we can choose a proper book. Maybe she didn't get notification either :roll:
Anyway, I have a question: Where do you get the books? I was thinking that Amazon ebooks is the fast option :roll:
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

I missed Lizzy's notification. I can't tell by heart right now but I think I've read Miss Peregrine. Or maybe it's been for a long time in my to-be-read list that I've forgotten if I read it already or not [emoji38] I'll have a look at my list and add some more titles :wink:

Enviado desde mi Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F mediante Tapatalk

Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

And what about a thriller? I'd like to read Connolly's Charlie Parker books, do you think it's easy enough? [emoji848]

Enviado dende o meu E6653 usando Tapatalk

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Hi!!!

Today i can write, i have my computer back :alegria: :alegria: :alegria:
Parónima escribió: 06 Ago 2019 17:48 And what about a thriller? I'd like to read Connolly's Charlie Parker books, do you think it's easy enough? [emoji848]

Enviado dende o meu E6653 usando Tapatalk
I read all type of literary genre so for me it's not a problem thriller, fantasy, classic or whatever book you like. But... I'm reading Charlie Parker 12. I love these books, and I think they aren't difficult, i'm not sure because i read it in Spanish. But I usually read books in English without any problem. I don't know why Six of Crows was so difficult.

I would like to read
:arrow: 'We have always lived in the castle' by Shirley Jackson
:arrow: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
:arrow: Howl's moving castle by Diana Wynne Jones
:arrow: Unsub by Meg Gardiner

All of you can propose four, five titles and then we can choose. We can delete the books we've aleready read and then we can do a survey to choose the book we'll finally read.
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

That's a great idea, Lizzy. From your books, I've already read Jackson's and the first of Narnia, but I wouldn't mind to read it again if we would go on with the saga.

I'll have a look today at my to-be-read list and add some more titles :wink:
Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

LizzyDarcy escribió: 07 Ago 2019 09:03 I'm reading Charlie Parker 12. I love these books, and I think they aren't difficult, i'm not sure because i read it in Spanish.
No Charlie Parker then, I'll try on my own if you say it may not be difficult :cunao:
LizzyDarcy escribió: I would like to read
I've been wanting to read this one for years!!! :alegria: This is the one that inspired Hayao Miyazaki's film, isn't it?
LizzyDarcy escribió: All of you can propose four, five titles and then we can choose. We can delete the books we've aleready read and then we can do a survey to choose the book we'll finally read.
My proposals :mrgreen:
- Tailchaser's song - Tad Williams
- Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (I already have this one and it doesn't seems difficult)
- Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children - Ransom Riggs
- The last wish - Andrej Sapkowski
- Educated - Tara Westover (I have no idea if this one is easy or not :roll: )
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've read Geralt de Rivia serie. I liked so much. I read it in Spanish but i think it wouldnt be easy. :roll: y

I read too the Tad Williams book.

I would like to read Americanah for a long time.

Let's see the books Mariki and Kiraya want to read.

Sorry for the mistakes. I'm writing with my tablet and the spelling checker is making me crazy :noooo:
Kiraya
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por Kiraya »

I really do not mind any genre or author, so I´ll go with the majority. :boese040:
Escribo, luego existo

Y hablo de lo que me da la gana en https://navegandocultura.com/
mariki
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por mariki »

Hi there!!

I'm here with some proposals, finally :roll:

:arrow: The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson (As I've already read @LizzyDarcy 's proposal, I took another one by the same author, if you don't mind) (horror book)
:arrow: I can see you, Karen Rose (crime with touches of romance, it's in the Romantic subforum, but I'll consider these types of novels as mystery)
:arrow: The Selection, Kiera Cass (Young adult)
:arrow: Let's get textual, Teagan Hunter (romantic and erotic)
Parónima

Mensaje por Parónima »

So we do a poll now or what? Each one of us can choose a book from our list that no one read, and do the poll with this selection, instead of a poll with all the books. What do you tink? :roll:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

@Kiraya don't you want to propose any book? If you don't I can put the poll. I think it would be good put into all the books or only rule out the books somebody has already read.

For example each can vote three options if there isn't a clear winner we can do another poll with the most voted books.

By the moment these are the books

:arrow: Unsub by Meg Gardiner
:arrow: Americanah - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (I already have this one and it doesn't seems difficult)
:arrow: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children - Ransom Riggs
:arrow: Educated - Tara Westover
:arrow: The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson
:arrow: I can see you, Karen Rose
:arrow: The Selection, Kiera Cass
:arrow: Let's get textual, Teagan Hunter

If any of you would like to add any book it's time :lista:

For example I would like to add

:arrow: Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Responder