Tess of the D'ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Tess of the D'ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Imagen

Title: Tess of the D'ubervilles: A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented
Author: Thomas Hardy

An intimate portrait of a woman, one of literature's most admirable and tragic heroines...Tess Durbeyfield knows what it is to work hard and expect little. But her life is about to veer from the path trod by her mother and grandmother. When her ne'er-do-well father learns that his family is the last of a long noble line, the d'Urbervilles, he sends Tess on a journey to meet her supposed kin—a journey that will see her victimized by lust, poverty, and hypocrisy. Shaped by an acute sense of social injustice and by a vision of human fate cosmic in scope, her story is a singular blending of harsh realism and poignant beauty. Thomas Hardy created in Tess not a standard Victorian heroine but a woman whose intense vitality shines against the bleak backdrop of a dying way of life. The novel shocked contemporary readers with its honesty and remains a timeless commentary on the human condition.
happykent
Foroadicto

Re: Tess of the D'ubervilles - Thomas Hardy

Mensaje por happykent »

I expect to start this book tonight :alegria:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

happykent escribió:I expect to start this book tonight :alegria:
Me too :D
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I read a few pages, just to know Jack Durbeyfield, who has just realized thanks to a parson, that he belongs to the D'ubervilles family, family of knights and money, but now all of them are dead.
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

I have read the firts three chapters. As Lizzy said, we have met Jack Durveyfield and a neighbor comented the story of his family, the D'urbervilles. So now I understand the title of the book.

The heroine Tess has also appeared, she is reported as a beautiful girl. Three rich brothers are also mentioned, and Tess have met the youngest one, Angel.

I found the language somewhat easy to read, much easier than the one in Wuthering Heigts. The author's descriptions of landscape and places are really good.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm reading so slowly, I'm in chapter 5.

I don't like Tess parents,
the mother wants to send Tess with an unknown relative because she is rich and Tess has to do his father job because he couldn't wake up after drinking the last afternoon :evil:
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

LizzyDarcy escribió:I'm reading so slowly, I'm in chapter 5.
Likewise :( . Yesterday I didn't have time to read...
happykent
Foroadicto

Mensaje por happykent »

I have read till Chapter 7.

Tess
was persuaded by her family to go to meet Mrs. D'Urberville. It happens that the family it is not an original D'Uberville but one of "new money", who changed their surname to gain importance :roll: So, the Durveyfields are the only remaining ones with ancient blood.
When Tess arrived at the manor she met Alec D'Uberville. Sincerely, I don't trust him :meditando: He is now infatuated with Tess and surely he made his mother send for her.
I don't like Tess parents, they are both fools in their own way :noooo:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm going to read Chapter 9.

I agree with you, Happy, I don't like Tess parents and i don't trust
Alec, I think that he didn't tell his mother nothing about Tess.
Tess
as her parents accepted the proposal about living in a D'uberville farm, in her way Alec asked her for a kiss and he kissed, she was very offended and she was thinking about going back home. Finally, he promised not doing it again.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por IsaPerséfone »

I hope I can start this one tomorrow. On Friday maybe. I really want to read it but made a mistake choosing my last book and it turned out to be veeeeery long...
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've just finished de second phase.

I like the book more and more, but it's a very sad story :(

Tess
went to the D'Ubervilles farm, and Alec tried to have an affair with her every day, until one night he got it. Tess was so sad, she was so innocent that despite it's not very explicit in the book, he made her lose her maidenhood.
She comes back home and has a baby. A baby who dies a little bit later :cry: :cry:
Tess
when she comes back home ask her mother why she didn't explain everythin about the relationship between men and women, so she could be alert and defence herself.
I go on reading it's very interesting in this point.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

I started it two nights ago, finally :alegria:

I do agree with you both on everything you have commented. So far, the book its easier and lighter to read than Wuthering Heights so I have read like 9 chapters already.

Also, I really dislike Tess's parents
they make her feel so guilty about the horse incident (which, by the way, just happened because the father was so very drunk he wasnt able to do his job) that she is force to move to the old lady Stoke-D'urbervilles farm. And once there, she has to cope with Alec, who seems to feel attracted by her but... I do think his intentions are pretty bad...
Tess seems like a very naive girl and considering she is, also, young
I do think Alec just cheated on both her and her family so that he can seduce her. I truly belive that his mother doesnt know anything about Tess being part of the family and asking for kinship or whatever... Somehow, I sense this is gonna end pretty badly for her.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Four phase, chapter XXIV.

I'm afraid because in this moment of story Tess
is happy and there is too much to read yet and I think Hardy, didn't give her the happiness so easily. Tess works as a maid and she likes her job, but she has met Angel and they love each other. All the girls in the dairy love him as well and Tess at the beginning wanted to renounce to him in favor in them, he loves her.
I don´t know how Angel will react when he knows Tess's past :roll:
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I'm in the phase 5. I think I'm in chapter XXXVII.

Tess and Angel
got married, and despite Tess tried to tell him all about her past several times even she wrote a letter to him but unfortunately this letter was hidden under the carpet by mistake when they got married she hasn't confessed her story.
During the wedding night Angel proposed Tess make their confidences and he told her that he had a fortyeigth-hour affair he claimed for her forgiveness. She felt relieved because his sin is the same as hers so she gave him her forgiveness and started to tell him her own affair. But his reaction is not the same as hers and he changed his mind or her loving Tess into a wicked Tess. :evil: :evil: :icon_no_tenteras: :icon_no_tenteras: :cry: :cry:
In this point Tess
became a kind o slave to him, she felt guilty, but she tried he to understand that she tried to not marry him and to tell him all the truth, and that she loved him so much so she was able to kill herself :shock: :( Finally they decided to separate themselves. Tess decided come back home, I'm afraid of what she'll find there.
I like the book, but it's really difficult to understand the characters reactions, because nowadays everything is completely different, and I hate Tess passivity and I hate men's hypocrisy.

Hey girls are you there? :desierto:
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Im here but waaaay behind. Im on phase 3.
It was really sad to read about
everything Tess went through. Being pregnant and loosing her child due to illness must be really hard. Not to say that she was rejected by Alec... Who just wanted from her what I thought he wanted :evil:
Now she has
gone to the diary farm and its working there. The mysterious guy at the begining of the book is working there too. And it seems like they like each other. I want Tess to be happy but I think she wont ever be and that makes me wanna stop reading the book :cunao:
Responder