Why I Write - George Orwell

Incluye ensayos, divulgación, pensamiento, crítica...

Moderador: Pseudoabulafia

Responder
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Why I Write - George Orwell

Mensaje por sergio, »

Imagen

Fecha de publicación: 02/09/2004
Editorial: Penguin Books
Formato: Tapa blanda
Páginas: 128
Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization, and helped make us who we are.

Whether puncturing the lies of politicians, wittily dissecting the English character or telling unpalatable truths about war, Orwell's timeless, uncompromising essays are more relevant, entertaining and essential than ever in today's era of spin.
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Re: Why I Write - George Orwell

Mensaje por sergio, »

Dejo un extracto:
Extract from : Why I Write

Why I Write

From a very early age, perhaps the age of five or six, I knew that when I grew up I should be a writer. Between the ages of about seventeen and twenty-four I tried to abandon this idea, but I did so with the consciousness that I was outraging my true nature and that sooner or later I should have to settle down and write books.

I was the middle child of three, but there was a gap of five years on either side, and I barely saw my father before I was eight. For this and other reasons I was somewhat lonely, and I soon developed disagreeable mannerisms which made me unpopular throughout my schooldays. I had the lonely child's habit of making up stories and holding conversations with imaginary persons, and I think from the very start my literary ambitions were mixed up with the feeling of being isolated and undervalued. I knew that I had a facility with words and a power of facing unpleasant facts, and I felt that this created a sort of private world in which I could get my own back for my failure in everyday life. Nevertheless the volume of serious - i.e. seriously intended - writing which I produced all through my childhood and boyhood would not amount to half a dozen pages. I wrote my first poem at the age of four or five, my mother taking it down to dictation.
Pseudoabulafia
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Pseudoabulafia »

Gracias por abrirle hilo, Sergio,, que tenemos muy poco de Orwell en ensayo. :D

La verdad es que la faceta ensayística de Orwell es muy poco conocida en España, a ver si se anima alguna editorial española a traducirlo.
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por sergio, »

Creo que lo empiezo hoy :D .
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por sergio, »

El libro consta de cuatro partes:

- Why I Write.
- The Lion and the Unicorn.
- Hanging.
- Politics and the English Language.

He leído la primera y la tercera, que no parecen que vayan conectadas, sino que más bien el libro es una unión de mini-ensayos. El primero fue por el que compré el libro, que me ha encantado y a la tercera no le he encontrado el sentido. :oops: Quiero decir que he entendido la historia, pero no sé qué hace en este libro :cunao:
Responder