Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

Mensaje por Ayrween »

Imagen

Sense and Sensibility is a novel by Jane Austen, and was her first published work when it appeared in 1811 under the pseudonym "A Lady". A work of romantic fiction, Sense and Sensibility is set in southwest England between 1792 and 1797 and portrays the life and loves of the Dashwood sisters, Elinor and Marianne. The novel follows the young ladies to their new home, a meagre cottage on a distant relative's property, where they experience love, romance and heartbreak. The philosophical resolution of the novel is ambiguous: the reader must decide whether sense and sensibility have truly merged.

Jane Austen wrote the first draft of the novel in the form of a novel-in-letters (epistolary form) sometime around 1795 when she was about 19 years old, and gave it the title, Elinor and Marianne. She later changed the form to a narrative and the title to Sense and Sensibility.By changing the title, Austen added "philosophical depth" to what began as a sketch of two characters. The title of the book, and that of her next published novel, Pride and Prejudice (1813), may be suggestive of political conflicts of the 1790s.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Re: Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

Mensaje por LauraCo »

MC on 15th May :128: :128: :128:
Leyendo :101: :
Les calces al sol - Regina Rodríguez Sirvent
Ciudad Feliz - Charles Montgomery
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Thanks Ayrween :60:

See you on 15th May :lista:
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

If anyone else wants to join the MC is welcome.
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet »

Count me in!
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

DarkLady Juliet escribió:Count me in!
Welcome :60: :beso:

In fact, I'm looking forward to reading it. From Austen I've only read 'Proud and prejudice' and 'Persuation'.
Murke
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Murke »

Hm... if nothing goes wrong with time, I will also take part in the MC :D . I've been wanting to read this book for ages!!
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Imagen

Mmmmm... getting ready. Just six more days!

I don't know if you can notice it in the pic, but my copy is at least... 25 years old? 30?
And it has been around waiting for the right moment to be read.
LauraCo
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por LauraCo »

Wow! I've forgot that today starts Sense and Sensibility. Thanks to facebook that I know :cunao: . Anyway, I couldn't stard reading till June because now I'm doing exams and I've got no time. But I'll follow your comments :60: :60:

The book seems really old, it's nice :D
Murke
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Murke »

Oh God, I also forgot about this MC! :oops: I must write down all MCs that I'm interested in in my calendar :comp punch:

I'm afraid I won't be able to join you, since I'm in the middle of two books right now :15: . It's a pity, really :| . I will follow your comments, too!
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

Oh what a pity!! :( Murke and lauraco can't read it with us. I hope that Darklady and Ayrween can.

I have little time because I'm reading another book, but last night I read the first chapter.

I've met the Dashwoods,
and the complicated situation Mr. Dashwood's death leave to his wife and three daughters.
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

Hi! I began the book yesterday night. I've read 3 chapters.
Mr. Dashwood has died. His son, by his first marriage, inherits almost everything. The widow and three daughters inherit 10000 £ (not too much). They want to leave Norland because the two Mrs. Dashwood don't get on well. And Mrs. John Dashwood (Fanny) persuades her husband not to help financially his half-sisters and stepmother.
Now Elinor, the eldest daughter, likes (has an attachment, in Austen words) for Edward Ferrars, his sister-in law brother. Although Marianne, the second daughter, is not conviced of him. He's amiable, intelligente and has good manners but he's not the passionate man she desired for her sister.
What a pity that Laura and Murke can't join us.

Juliet, your copy seems old but nice. I have it in e-book.
LizzyDarcy
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por LizzyDarcy »

I've read two more chapters, I hope to finish the other book I'm reading today so I could read faster the following days.
Finally Fanny convinced her husband to do nothing about Mrs. Dashwood and her three daughters :evil: Otherwise, Elinor and Edward Ferrars who is Fanny's brother has an attachment, but Marianne doesn't like him to her sister, because although he's amiable and intelligent he needs passion in his manners.
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

I'm on chapter IV. Mostly getting to know the characters, not much to say for the moment but: :evil: I don't like Fanny at all.

My copy was printed in 1982 8)
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

What about the book? I've read ten chapters, not too much, I'm a bit slow reading English and I'm reading another things at the same time.

The Dashwood family
has moved to Barton Cottage. The landlord is Sir John, a distant cousin of Mrs. Dashwood, who offers they a low rent. He's his neighbour too. He lives in Barton Park with his family. They meet his wife, lady Middleton and mother-in-law, Mrs. Jennings. Also they meet Colonel Brandon, a good friend. The family at the Park says he loves Marianne, but she thinks he's too old for her (she's seventeen and he's about thirty-five).
Then Marianne
spranins her ankle in a walk and Mr. Willoughby helps her and carry her to her home. They began a good friendship, they have the same likes and dislikes. She prefers the lively and passionate Willoughby to the reserved and quiet Brandon.
I don't like Fanny either.
Responder