The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Larús
La enciclopedia

The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Mensaje por Larús »

Imagen

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?
cperfumo
Lector ocasional
Contactar:

Re: The girl on the train - Paula Hawkins

Mensaje por cperfumo »

I read it! I liked it but didn't LOVE it. Like I said in the Spanish thread about this book, I think the cover and the description are quite misleading. They make you think you're in for an action-packed thriller, while the story is actually quite slow.

That's my two cents, anyway.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Mensaje por IsaPerséfone »

:hola:
I cant wait to read it :alegria:
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

I already have it :lista:

I guess it won't be as spectacular as it is said but i feel like reading it too :D
cperfumo
Lector ocasional
Contactar:

Mensaje por cperfumo »

Maybe you'll love it! Who knows?
PinkClouD
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por PinkClouD »

I've started yesterday but I only read the first chapter so I can't say anything yet.

The only thing that I can say is that for the moment I like the way is written and all the descriptions about the views she saw when she was travelling by train.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

I started it on Thursday and Im round the 35% already :shock: It really hooked me :cunao:

So far, we have 2 different stories, on the one hand there is Rachel and, on the other, there is Megan.

So far, Rachel
picks a train everyday to go to work (we later find out she was fired some time ago). The train stops in a village and her seat is in front of a house, so she can see what the owners do. As she doesnt know any of them, she just invents a story around them. But one day she sees something se doesnt like (the girl, Jess for her, is kissing a guy who is not her husband) and the next day, that girl has dissapear... And, to add some mistery to all of this, she was in that village that day, at that time, round her house, and all she can recall from that is that she got back home with her head badly injured
As for Megan
she is Jess (for Rachel). All we know about her is from her past. She had some psychological problems and she was seeing a therapist. She lost her job and she felt trapped, so she started to cheat on her husband.
Both girls have one thing in common
Rachel's ex-husband, Tom, is Megan's neighbour. Both he and his new wife, Anna, have a baby and Megan work for them for a short time as a babysitter. In fact, it was Anna who told the police that Rachel was there when Megan dissapeared (as Rachel has been stalking bot Anna and Tom) and that night Rachel was pretty drunk and Anna was affraid she did something bad.
Pegeen
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por Pegeen »

Hi Pink, Isa. :hola: I'm going to try to follow you both in this MC, but I'll probably read it quite quite slowly. I started the book yesterday and I read the first chapter, about Rachel, and a few pages of the second one (Megan's). Like Pink, I can't say anything yet, but the first impression was not bad at all. :wink:
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Dont worry, I will be round here after Im finished.

Im on the 50% of it and now
we know a few things more. Like Rachel is a stalker, as she once broke into her ex's home and grab his baby and nobody knows what she was trying to do :shock:
Rachel has been trying like crazy to let the world be aware of the fact that Megan had a lover and that it was her therapist, but so far, people dont believe her as she is an alcoholic. She even went to Megan's home to talk to Scott, her husband :shock: She has tried to convince everyone that he is the one responsible for Megan's dissapearance but police has found nothing
And now they have found Megans body and it was very close to her home :shock: :shock: And still Rachel thinks it was the therapist and not the husband. And, also, she suspects she might now something about it, like she was there and she cant remember...
Ayrween
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por Ayrween »

I started to read it on Friday and I lasted it yesterday. But I've read in Spanish, I felt lazy to read more than 400 pages in English. :roll: And when I began I couldn't give it up. The novel hooked me a lot. :cunao:

I'm following your impressions, Isa :wink:
PinkClouD
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por PinkClouD »

I'm around 35% more or less. I'm ejoying a lot this book! is really entertaining and I haven't got any idea about where Megan is.
Megan was cheating on her boyfriend!!!! She is very cruel!!! So there is three suspects, her boyfriend, her lover and Rachel because she didn't remember anything of that night.
Rachel is a bit crazy, I think that her ex-husband was stupid but that's not justify her behaviour!! She tried to kidnaped his daughter!! And Tom is trying to help her because he didn't report her.
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

Pink, I do agree with you.
II think Rachel knows more than she thinks, and yes, her ex-husband is stupid but he never deserved all the shit Rachel is doing to him...
Im on the 65% and Rachel
has gone to Kamal's clinic to talk about her just in case she can make him do or say something that would prove he is the killer. I think she is so focus on that that she cannot see that Scott is not as good and sweet as she thinks...
We also know something about Megan
she had a baby 10 years ago and she killed her! Yes, it looks like it was an accident, but she has never tell anyone about this and its not so good to know about that. She, also, was found to be pregnant when she died :(
Anna
we read too little about her but, in those bits, we know she is very affraid of Rachel and she really thinks Rachel is capable of doing very bad things... I dont like the fact that Rachel told Scott that both she and Anna were in the place Megan was last seen the night she died because I think Anna was just trying to get Rachel out of trouble for Tom...
I do think Scott
is hidding something. Yes, Rachel has an image of both he and Megan in her head because she never met them before, she only saw them a few second everyday and even in their worst, they can have a sweet moment... So, Rachel thinks he is very good because of what she has seen and even when he tell her to go and talk to the police to convince them of what a great guy he is, she still thinks he is a great guy. Even after he told her how awfully he traeted Megan the night she died... I think he knows something about what happened, maybe he is not the killer but he knows something....
Larús
La enciclopedia

Mensaje por Larús »

Just as Ayr... I started it in Spanish, as I felt lazy to read it in English :lol: but I'm really into the story, I read about 40% of the novel and I like it :D

I'll try to write down my impressions tomorrow :hola:
IsaPerséfone
No tengo vida social
Contactar:

I ended the book on Thursday and I must say I liked it a lot and the ending really surprised me :shock:

It turns out that
Tom was the killer! I kinda expected it. I mean, I knew he was cheatting on Anna with Megan and that he had something to do with Megan's death. What I could have never guessed was that he attacked Rachel that night and it wasnt the first time. And he made a whole new story to cover himself up and he was so lucky that Rachel was so wasted that it was kinda impossible for her to remember what she saw
PinkClouD
Foroadicto
Contactar:

Mensaje por PinkClouD »

I hadn´t so much time to read this weekend so I'm between 45-50% yet. I hope I can read more during the week.
Responder