English vs spanish bookstores

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Responder
lucia
Cruela de vil

English vs spanish bookstores

Mensaje por lucia »

I hate it when I want to buy a book and have to resort to english bookstores. I wanted to buy a guide to Egypt as I'm going there next Friday. The one I want is not translated into spanish, but the Lonely Planet guide is. Since that is the case, I began looking for it in Amazon and out of curiosity, looked for the Lonely Planet guide in spanish. Well, it's cheaper to buy the guide in spanish in Amazon.co.uk or Play.com and getting it delivered home than buying it here in Casa del libro or FNAC. You can guess this is also the case with the english guide.

And this isn't the only case. Most books in english, and almost all technical books, can be easily found in Amazon while you have to beg here for the book tender to get you one, and they try to gt paid a surcharge for the sweat it has cost them.

Internet to the people! :ola:
Nuestra editorial: www.osapolar.es

Si cedes una libertad por egoísmo, acabarás perdiéndolas todas.

Imagen Mis diseños
Alicia
Collejas gratis

Mensaje por Alicia »

I know what you mean. There´s an English bookshop on my way home from work and the prices are outrageous. I jotted it down in another topic: I saw "the Brooklyn Follies" from Auster in this bookshop. It was 27€ :shock: . The book will be released in Spanish in a few days and it's going to be almost 10€ cheaper.
Can you believe it? It's mad, really mad.

Anyway, enjoy your visit to ancient Egypt :wink:
lucia
Cruela de vil

Mensaje por lucia »

But the book in english is only 20€, shipping costs included, trhough Amazon, and cheaper through Play :shock:

Demo here

Imagen Mis diseños
triste
Foroadicto

Re: English vs spanish bookstores

Mensaje por triste »

It's been years since you posted this, lucia, but I want to know if this still happens there. I buy most of the books I read in english because is cheaper, even in spanish bookstores here in Mexico. But I also buy them on the internet, specially at Book Depository, an amazing page and they have free delivery worldwide.

I mean, for example, if I want to buy Hunger by Knut Hamsun in spanish, it costs me 20 dlls, but I ordered from BD for 11 in english and it was a pretty Penguin edition. So... I think that now it's better to buy books in english because of the price and even because of the editions.

I always try to find books edited by Siruela (Tove Jansson, Robert Walser, Clarice Lispector) in english because the price in spanish is so high.
lucia
Cruela de vil

Re: English vs spanish bookstores

Mensaje por lucia »

Yes, it's still the same thing. But I only buy books in Spanish in physical libraries or Amazon and the likes (non Spanish digital bookstores) nowadays, because it's easier and cheaper.

Imagen Mis diseños
Responder