last book you've read or you're reading

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Re: last book you've read or you're reading

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet »

Soñador84 escribió:I´ve started today "A feast for crows" by George R.R. Martin. I must admit that I had to look up some words in the dictionary but I think that , at least the plot, is quite understandable. ^^

And interesting!! :60:
Tehanu~
Lector voraz
Contactar:

Mensaje por Tehanu~ »

Hi, everybody! Since there isn't a single topic for the book that I've just read (because it hasn't been translated yet), I figured I could rant about it here if you don't mind. By the way my English is a little bit rusty but understandable whatsoever.

So, last night I finished 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. I think I read it in a day. I loved it.
In the beggining I was kind of afraid to jump to its reading because this book is being so hyped up lately because of the movie. Another reason was because it is always put in the same reading lists as John Green's books, which I don't like (although to be fair I have only read Looking for Alaska). So, yeah, I was very judgemental of the book without even reading it.

The book was written in 1999 but takes place in 1991, which it's quite interesting. It is told in epistolary style, which means that all we know, we do only trough one source: the protagonist who calls himself Charlie. We also don't know who he sends this letters to, and we are meant not to know it.
At first I thought Charlie suffer from some kind of mild autism given that his storytelling strike me quite similar to the one of the boy from 'The Curious Incident of the Dog at Midnight'. However, in difference with that other boy, Charlie does enjoy expressions of love such as hugs and kisses. So I had my doubts.
The character are of course seen through Charlie's lenses, which is way the main girl, Sam, kind of sounds like a 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl', which I loathe. But, I was proven wrong towars the end, and, boy, I loved it.
The revelation in the ending is quite unexpected, a true shock. But during all the length of the book I was given proof that this was not just another book.
It reminded me (and that was the author's intention according to Wikipedia) of 'The Catcher in the Rye', only that I liked 'Perks' a lot better.
I truly reccomend it as a coming of age story for the generations of today.
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

I'm reading one of the best books I've come across so far and it's not a suprise that it is so well ranked by people all over the world: "Game of thrones". I love it because it's much more than just another fantasy book. Too me his world is much more like Middle ages. What George Martin has created is really something else :D Its' characters and the plot are so well designed that one just can't stop reading. I can't wait to start other volumes :D
Felicity
Comité de bienvenida
Contactar:

Mensaje por Felicity »

Im with Dickens and his "Nicholas Nickelby"
Recuento 2024
Nos pasamos años sin vivir en absoluto, y de pronto toda nuestra vida se concentra en un solo instante (Oscar Wilde)
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

After finishing "Game of thrones" I've just started the third book out of King's Dark Tower series and I enjoy it from the beginning :D
aloneinkioto
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por aloneinkioto »

Victor_Ros escribió:After finishing "Game of thrones" I've just started the third book out of King's Dark Tower series and I enjoy it from the beginning :D
I really wanna read them! Gotta buy the books first, though :lol: I'm thinking of purchasing them via bookdepository, they have the first 4 books for less than 18 pounds.

Oh, and i'm currently reading the Books of Blood, by Clive Barker.
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

Which series do you have in mind? :D Do you mean Dark Tower? Both are a great read but I personally prefer "Song of Ice and Fire"
aloneinkioto
No tengo vida social

Mensaje por aloneinkioto »

Victor_Ros escribió:Which series do you have in mind? :D Do you mean Dark Tower? Both are a great read but I personally prefer "Song of Ice and Fire"
Oh, yes, I meant "Song of Ice and Fire" :) I watched the tv show a few weeks ago and now I really need to read the books!
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

If you saw the tv show and you liked it you should love the books even more :D First I read the book and now I'm watching the tv series and for me the book is just much better (but hey I've alwaly prefered reading to watching :D )
kira_elf

Mensaje por kira_elf »

The last book I've read in English was "Trafficked" by Sophie Hayes.
It's not in Spanish yet so if you want to read it you'll have to do it in English.
The book talks about the true story of Sophie Hayes, a british girl who was forced to sell her body in the italian night by the person she though was her best friend.
After taking the book for the first time I couldn't stop reading. It's really interesting and you can feel through her words the panic in which Sophie Hayes lived.

I read here about "Game of Thrones" and I'm becoming really interested in this book! People don't stop talking about it! So I hope to have time (and the money) to find those books and start reading them!
Thank you so much for your advises!
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

At the moment I'm with Capote's "In cold blood" and I find it interesting. Although to me sometimes the plot is way to long, the author could have ommitted some of the descriptions.
Fújur
No puedo vivir sin este foro

Mensaje por Fújur »

The last book I've read in English is "Clash oh Kings" and at the moment i'm reading "Great Expectations" by Dickens
AnastasiaRomanov
Me estoy empezando a viciar

Mensaje por AnastasiaRomanov »

I must admit it's been a really long time since last time I read a book in English. What a shame! I think it was last year, it was not a normal book for pleasure, it was for a project of investigation I had to do. I ended up sick and tired of it so maybe that's why I haven't read in English for some time.
Leyendo: El día que se perdió el amor - Javier Castillo
Victor_Ros
Lector voraz

Mensaje por Victor_Ros »

After a short break with the Song of Ice and fire series I'm back to the second book which is Clash of Kings. After reading a couple of other books in between I can say that I appreciate even more, what George R.R Martin has created :D To me it's one of the best books in the last few years :D
Ilyushin
Me estoy empezando a viciar

Mensaje por Ilyushin »

Hi everyone! A few days ago I started El príncipe feliz/the happy prince, by Oscar Wilde. It's a bilingual book, I bougth 3 of them but it is the first I read. I don't like it so much because it's bit hard for me to understand, I thinck that's "old" English.

P.D.: Por favor si cometo faltas avisadme, que estoy desempolvando mi inglés y hacía muchísimo que no lo hablaba/escribia.
Responder