Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Dícese de los políglotas o practicantes de lenguas varias.

Moderador: Larús

Responder
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Mensaje por sergio, »

Lord of the Flies
William Golding

Imagen

A plane crashes on an uninhabited island and the only survivors, a group of schoolboys, assemble on the beach and wait to be rescued. By day they inhabit a land of bright fantastic birds and dark blue seas, but at night their dreams are haunted by the image of a terrifying beast.

In this, his first novel, William Golding gave the traditional adventure story an ironic, devastating twist. The boys' delicate sense of order fades, and their childish fears are transformed into something deeper and more primitive. Their games take on a horrible significance, and before long the well-behaved party of schoolboys has turned into a tribe of faceless, murderous savages.

First published in 1954, Lord of the Flies is now recognized as a classic, one of the most celebrated of all modern novels.
Última edición por sergio, el 10 Oct 2011 23:25, editado 1 vez en total.
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Re: Lord of the flies - William Golding

Mensaje por sergio, »

I'll soon read this book. I hope it doesn't have a difficult language... :roll: It's a compulsory book in England at school so I think I'll be able :oops: .
aloneinkioto
No tengo vida social

Re: Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Mensaje por aloneinkioto »

I read it in English because i wanted to and the only copy at the uni library was not the Spanish one :lol: I found it really interesting because you could see how the writer tried to copy the way a kid talks, and i wondered if the Spanish translation did the same thing.
DarkLady Juliet
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por DarkLady Juliet »

The language was not difficult for me. But sometimes I missed the concept, I thought I had read wrong, but no, it's just that I didn't know a couple of cultural nuances, for instance, that The Lord of the Flies is another name for
the Devil.
I think Golding depicted wonderfully kid's behaviour. Their development into maturity and those moments that turn back to childhood. And the metaphoric extension to the rest of humankind.

It's not so long, I hope you enjoy it. We can comment after.
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por sergio, »

I have already read the first chapter, and I'm really enjoying it. I thought it might be difficult but no, I've understood almost all.

I'm expecting any free time to go on reading :D

Thanks, DarkLady Juliet. And ok, when I finish it, we can comment it :60:
guty
Me estoy empezando a viciar

Mensaje por guty »

It's one of the books you can read for this year's CAE exam.
sergio,
Vivo aquí

Mensaje por sergio, »

I enjoyed so muuuuuuuch the book. The conflict between civilization and savage is really interesting. My favourite character was Piggy
I was saddened by his death :(
What would had happen if they were replaced by a group of girls? Do you think the story would change?
Responder